Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Deceased Car Discoveries

I have found that since discovering my beautiful car's pending departure, ex-Rover owners are creeping from beneath the woodwork to tell me their sorry tales.

It seems that the head gasket going on a Rover is not totally dissimilar to having recently lost a pet (bear with me here). You quickly learn that you are not the only one to have suffered such an agonizing yet apparently, to those in the know, predictable loss. You will hear story after story of those who have endured such (costly) pain as they attempt to sympathise with your recent grieving soul and you are obliged to, in turn, empathise with their own misfortune (even though you just want to sulk about it instead of reciprocating their sympathies). You receive knowing looks, understanding 'I knows' occasionally tinged with a touch of 'I told you sos' (even though they bloody didn't).

Veering somewhat from the whole pet analogy, when faced with the prospect of scrapping a car, you will also be faced with a vast array of contradictory opinions, suggestions and instructions that you are bombarded with and have to attempt to wade through, your own opinion being worth absolutely jack shit if your knowledge about cars is in parallel to your understanding of astro physics, as mine is.

Apparently my car, in its present state is fixable for a relatively small fee. Apparently there is no point in keeping my car because currently the steering lock is the most valuable thing within it (currently redundant in its role of locking a useless steering wheel). Apparently £50 is, and isn't (depending on who I talk to) a fair price for the metal carcass that was, and still still is to its besotted owner, a fantastic car. Any sharp word, any cursing, any frustration at its rather violent, low profile tyre ride I took back with regret 30 seconds in to witnessing her demise. I bloody love that car.

In the same vein, I have learnt quickly to acknowledge advice when tentatively mentioning that I am to buy another car (new or used is a whole other topic for opinionated discussion).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the knowledge of others, especially considering mine is frankly soappallingg that if left to my own devices I'd probably either be stripped of every last penny (and probably have agreed to auction my kidney on E-bay to fund the rest) before I even set foot in a car dealership.

But I'm struggling to know what to retain and what to put in a boxlabeledd 'misc' at the back of my mind, to be redeemed accidentally when I instead want some informed, wittyanecdotall fact about bridges (if there is such a thing).

So far I have 4 cars on my list (incidentally none of which I can afford, but that's another matter).

Astra, Focus, Civic or Golf needed for one loving, devoted owner. Can't guarantee regular car washes but will attempt to keep interior reasonably free ofreceiptss, plastic bags and other miscellaneous crap*. Will cover back seats when transporting dogs. Good, responsive brakes essential (they'll be well used). Ability to pull away from traffic lights at light speed a bonus. Open minded musical taste beneficial.

*Disclaimer: the owner retains the right to not comply to this if she's having a bad/busy/stressful day

3 Comments:

Blogger thewebstress said...

I should really learn not to use blogger's spell check. It seems to do that.

Or else, at 25, I should really learn to spell.

7:38 am  
Blogger Kate said...

(hug)

My beloved Renault 5 had it's engine seize up and die on me about 6 years ago so I understand completely.

Drink wine and dream of shiny new cars that won't warn you when you're driving too fast cos all the windows rattle.

2:17 pm  
Blogger thewebstress said...

I share your pain. I just hope it subsides after a while. I've been dreaming of shiny VW campervans! Which of course are perfectly easy to parallel park...

2:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home