Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Time Travel

Being 11 hours ahead of the UK is something I don't think, in my time here, I'll ever quite grasp.

At least my boyfriend is operating in the same time zone as me now (and he doesn't have the excuse of extortionately priced text messages as an excuse for not texting me and now has to text me or at least come up with a new excuse) which is beneficial for our relationship, if confusing for everyone else in the UK. When I am trying to explain what I've done when, or where I'll be for a phone call, there are usually reams of 'so is that your morning or mine' and subsequent confusions until it is ironed out (something that me and my boyfriend just about managed before I left the UK, often through just not agreeing a time).

My grandad this morning (his Wednesday evening) asked me if I could tell him the lottery results, as I was 11 hours ahead (I think he was kidding...). My friend back in the UK has just told me that I am like Michael J Fox without the Delorean (and, sadly, the hoverboard).

I don't really like it though, all this time travel. As my boyfriend is spectacularly poor with texting, my phone stays silent for the majority of the day and text responses to questions that I'd forgotten I'd asked to my family and friends drift in half a day later.

The time difference is nothing in comparison to the seasonal difference. Try as I might I can't think of one good reason for having winter in August and summer in December. For me, the only thing that drives me through the long winter months is the celebrations around Christmas.

Here, the children have a two week holiday in the middle of July when its cold, wet, windy and miserable and don't even have a reason to sprinkle glitter onto cards smothered in PritStick. They wade their way through the long winter months without a warm mince pie to comfort them and they don’t have a tree to decorate or a new toy to break by the fire as the winds howl and the rain lashes down outside. And then summer arrives accompanied by Christmas and people are happy, sunburnt and gorged on good food and presents all at once.

No, I’m sold on the whole Christmas in winter thing. I wouldn’t go far as to say that this way was just pain wrong (it is of course, but its geographically influenced and they can’t do a lot about it) but there’s not much right with it from where I’m standing.

A barbeque for Christmas dinner is all very well but you just can’t eat as much in the heat. And who wants to wear a bikini instead of an comforting, enormous, stomach-hiding jumper in the post Christmas-Fill?

1 Comments:

Blogger thewebstress said...

Can we try eating Christmas dinner at it? I want to try roast potatoes in the heat. If the Kiwis can do it, anyone can.

5:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home