Friday, February 03, 2006

Back down to earth with a crash - and a coding calamity

My brand spanking new laptop arrived yesterday. Its beautiful, shiny and new. It has so far not complained to do anything, not once. Its not miserable, its not temperamental. Its actually quite happy being my conduit to the web. Its more 'you'd like to do that? okay lets see what we can do' than 'you WHAT?'.

I was almost excited about work this morning. In the comfort of my home, with a cuppa and (obviously) my toast, I began work in earnest (well, I opened gmail).

You may remember, it was just one week ago that me and my pc, that's sat sadly neglected by my new toy's side (even with the frustration the pc caused me, there is a tiny twinge of guilt for its abandoned shell, sat uselessly next to me, a glorified modem shelf) had seriously fallen out, beyond repair.

So: a new day, a new start.

I should have known.

Gmail welcomed me with frustrated email from a website owner that I had designed and developed. Its a good thing this website owner was my dad really otherwise things may have been even worse than they already are.

My web hosting have turned off global variables in PHP. For good. Their advice? Recode the scripts. For those of you who know nothing about coding - welcome to my world. For those of you who do - if you wouldn't mind letting me know how to fix it...

I have a good 5 or 6 websites hosted with this company. The sites, all for clients/friends, all have varying degrees of the problem, from being mildly frustrating with some limited usability to being effectively useless. I can't move them to another hosting company because most people have turned off global variables anyway.

All of these sites need fixing. All of which need fixing in the immediate future.

The WebStress has gone beyond stress. In fact, I'd love to just be 'stressed' now. I ache for the simplicity of the word. I'd embrace the stress with open arms, I'd welcome it lovingly.

I work full time, I have a boyfriend who's presently departing for 9 months in NZ (so would quite like to see him before I go), I'm losing my internet connection at the end of the month when I move and...

....I don't know how to fix the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home