Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Get thee to a nunnery

I forgot to provide an update on my 'nun experience'.

I didn't swear. Not once. I didn't even have to substitute an obscenity for 'darn it' or 'oh gosh'. I watched my tongue, yes, but there was no point where I had to do any severe back-peddling or covering-up. In fact, the nun, an absolutely lovely lady, even said 'oh Lord' at one point. And I actually felt smug. Although, if I'm honest, a queue of expletives were building up steadily on the tip of my tongue by the end of the evening and I was quite surprised that as soon as she had left us that I didn't develop a short, frustrated burst of Tourettes.

And she drank. Not one but two and a half glasses of wine.

In her commune (not a 'nunnery' as I had previously imagined, my general knowledge being embarrassingly poor and rather made up) they don't even have to wear habits. They just have to wear something that is relatively decent (I wonder if they allow jeans?).

In fact, it doesn't seem all that bad, being a nun. They even get up later than I do at present. And they get one day off a week. I'm sure I could give it a go, although I might have to do some work on the whole Christian thing.

Seeing as I'm homeless come 4 weeks time, I wonder if they allow guests?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home