Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It never rains but it pours

I remember rainy lunchbreaks at school. They were thoroughly miserable, from primary school right through until I had a car and we found that it was extremely easy to just head home at lunchtime and 'forget' to come back (although 'remembering' to get someone to sign in for you).

I remember the sweat, the smell of dampness and grease and mashed potato. I remember sitting cross legged in the library, miserable and fed up, watching Lord of the Rings the animated tale, again and again (maybe it was only the once, but it felt like forever). I remember moping around school corridors, the bottoms of my trousers soaking, the floors wet and muddy (and inevitably slippery and highly dangerous). Nowhere to sit, nowhere to be.

Things haven't really changed a lot. I'd have thought, aged 24, I'd have got used to rainy lunchbreaks.

The air in the office is humid and warm with a slight salty tinge of sweat and hot breath. It is like being in someone's armpit who's decided to go 'au naturel'. Not a lifestyle choice I'd recommend, unless the area under your arm happens to exude the odour of [some rather expensive perfume*].

* replace with the name of rather expensive and lovely perfume that I do not own and/or Mitchum 'so effective you can even skip a day' deodorant which I do

I am not good on rainy days. I don't function well. Neither does anyone else, I have observed.

Everyone is uncomfortable, irritable. I feel perhaps we are one giant experimentation by some unhinged scientist: 'Lets see what happens when we confine all these frustrated, hapless, poor individuals who pretend to like each other and their job for short periods of time every day in one place for longer than their personal limit. Lets force them to the edge, lets make things uncomfortable, no, unbearable, and see what happens'.

What happens is that I lose my lunch. Not literally, I had my marmite and cucumber sandwich on cue as normal, obviously, I'm not likely to cut out a meal just because it is raining. But, seeing as I am utterly terrible at surfing the web, I just...work.

Everything is uncomfortable and abnormal, the air is heavy and stuffy. No run today. My bones are aching, my head is hurting, I am a rather grumpy and not very cooperative barometer.

The worst thing is, when I leave work, in just over 40 minutes, I will be heading out into the rain.

Oh, and I still have PMT.

1 Comments:

Blogger thewebstress said...

Ah cheers :-) , I am slightly concerned that if I start to enjoy my job maybe I will lose my ability to blog...maybe I am destined to be stuck in the web-world forever, sucking the life-blood out of the 'tortured soul' ideal!

8:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home