Thursday, February 16, 2006

Kitchen Conversations

I'd like to share a little anecdote, to give you some idea of what my day is like.

I was in the kitchen, getting juice. Also in the kitchen was a new dev guy (that's what the cool web people of the world call developers because, I guess, it makes them sound more interesting).

Our conversation went something like this. He asked me if I liked juice. I said yes. He said that he didn't really like juice and preferred tea, pointing to the cups that were laid out in front of the kettle (I'm not sure his English isn't that good, but then that's about the level of banter for a dev guy). I said that I liked tea a lot but I'd already drunk enough tea today.

And then, as if to prove how caffeine induced and slightly unhinged I was, I laughed loudly, head thrown back, for quite a considerable length of time. Enough time for me to back out of the door and return to my desk, to stick my headphones on and get my head so close to the monitor that I could pretend I was immersed in safety and comfort and that I was not, in fact, at work at all.

I tend to avoid going to the kitchen when there are others around. I will actually turn around and walk back to my desk if I can see someone else is in there before I go past the door of no return.

I think I've effectively illustrated why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home