Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Delusions of Grandeur or Blogger Fodder?

I bought a pepper on Sunday in Sainsburys.

(I know it appears as though there's not much scope for a post with that sort of introduction but bear with me).

On it, and I did have to check this twice, was a little sticker with 'As seen on TV' on.

This morning, after divulging my discovery to my uninterested/intrigued* friends (*delete as applicable) in the pub last night and noting their reaction (largely disbelief, probably due to previous experience with my poor anecdotal tales with vague factual referencing that may, or may not, be correct), I decided I'd do a bit of detective work to see whether I had imagined my encounter.

I won a little personal victory in my ever continuing quest to be the purveyor of witty anecdotes and interesting facts and move away from the drivvel that usually falls ungraciously (and usually disastrously) from my mouth.

Happily, it appears that I'm not the only one to have noticed this.

Several bloggers had already made this discovery and noted it down accordingly in their posts, each as amused/confused as I was. However, my detective work began to trail off rather rapidly as boredom ensued (it lasted through three of Google's search pages which was pretty good for me). So the question remains unanswered:

Why?

Perhaps these poorly deluded capsicums are desperately searching for their five minutes of fame (if Chico can do it, any[one/thing] can). Perhaps they long to aspire to be more than just a pepper.

Or perhaps it is the result of an unsubstantiated verbal rant from a terrified employee in an unproductive brainstorming session behind the doors of Sainsbury's marketing department.

I will note now that, as a designer, myself and marketeers don't really see eye-to-eye, having had to action some appalling, ill planned, frankly idiotic ideas during the course of my career - and having my designs being called appalling, ill planned and idiotic as a result of following their brief to the letter - so my apologies for thinking such marketing genius as elevating a pepper to fame was unsubstantiated.

But its probably a damn accurate guess and I'd love to see some statistics on pepper sales following the production and implementation of the stickers, as, I'm sure would the hapless employees who had to put all the bloody things on.

But maybe I should eat my words (poor, vague pun unintended).

For a start, Sainsburys has gained substantial real estate in my blog, and the blogs of several others.

While it hasn't made me think 'I must return to Sainsburys to buy my peppers in future so I can buy one that has the 'credibility' of being marketed on TV (as, of course, every product featured on television is obviously elevated to be eligible of consumer purchase as being advertised on television clearly is the sign of a good quality, good value product which far exceeds other, inferior, products that aren't)', it might, just might, have made someone, somewhere want to go to Sainsburys to view such a phenomenon (thus granting the pepper the fame and recognition it so obviously craves).

But, as I said, I'd really like to see some statistics on that.

I guess, in the world of The Marketeer (I assume a frightening place which I would request no-one ever introduces me to, and am happy in blissful ignorance) all publicity is good publicity.

The pepper was, to note, of good quality: good colour, good feel (what else do you go on with a pepper?), but as I am provided with only one option in my capsicum purchasing in the majority of supermarkets I have ever visited, I wouldn't like to substantiate any claims of this pepper being superior to other 'brands' that have not made their televisual debut.

This pepper ended up being engulfed by an enormous amount of 'lazy chilies' that I laced my chili in so I'm afraid I can't comment on the taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home