Monday, March 27, 2006

Comfort in Battles

The importance of today's events highlight to me that it isn't merely that I feel my skills leave something to be desired and that I generally feel inadequate about my ability, that I hate my career.
No. If it were I could perhaps resolve the problem.

But my skill defect has overshadowed perhaps a much bigger problem lurking in the foundations of my career.

The Client.

This morning I received a brief that should have been supplied some weeks ago, but with the same deadlines in place, which is resulting in a much reduced work time but yielding a higher volume of work (work that one out) as additional pieces of the project have been added in.

I completed an urgent part of the brief that needed to be sent live by the client. They signed it off, I sent it live.

Then they told me that they wanted to change a key part of the graphic, now others had viewed it.

I succumbed to their whims, muttering internally about sign off meaning sign off.

They then signed off the amended graphic some hours after.

And then told me that, in fact, the colours should be cohesive with their print materials (that I didn't know existed until then).

So ensued much ramblings to my long-suffering project manager who is acting as unfortunate go-between between a frustrated designer and an impossible client.

I am currently awaiting sign off. Again.

This happens with unfaltering regularity, as does the flaring of my temper, and the ratio of whinge per project is unsettlingly high at present.

But at least it gives me comfort that my own anomolies are not the only reason I'm battling through the dregs of a failing career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home